Let's be real, what woman doesn't wax her face, eyebrows or upper/lower lip?! Now for those brave enough to admit, how many don't get that pesky breakout after waxing?! I do!
I use to suffer frpm post wax breakouts on the side of cheeks every time I waxed. I had to start waxing my side burns and sides of cheeks when my first child was born. My blonde hair went from...well blonde to black. So not cool! I noticed it was also causing difficulty for my foundation to adhere to my skin because the hair not only became black but it also became a bit coarse and more then normal grew in. Again so not cool or attractive!! I blamed the pregnancy hormones. Nonetheless after the baby was born it never went away. However there is hope!
When waxing any part of your face remember these few rules in order to minimize or eliminate post wax breakouts altogether.
1. Wash your hands!
2. Wash your face with your face wash to make sure that the area you are waxing is clean. Make sure to scrub gently the area you are waxing in order to exfoliate the skin so that the hair is easier to grab.
3. Use a good wax and clean sterile wax strips.
4. When heating up the wax (if using a hot wax) please be careful. You don't want to apply burning wax to your face that can leave you with a burn.
5. Once you are done waxing, wash your face again to get rid of any wax residue.
6. After washing your face again, use a toner to help disinfect the area and help bring down the swelling.
7. If you use an exfoliant (AHA or BHA) be careful as it might burn the hell out of you if you just waxed.
Steps five and six are ultra important. The reason why many of us get post wax breakouts is because we don't wash and tone our face after waxing and leave the newly waxed skin and exposed open pores available for bacteria to seep in.
If you follow these simple steps on any area of your face before and after you wax, the likelihood of of getting a breakout is slim to none. However if slim happens, at least it will be minimal. For me it has completely eliminated the breakouts altogether!!